[geeks] Google announces Google Chrome OS

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jul 9 13:16:53 CDT 2009

On Jul 8, 2009, at 15:28 , der Mouse wrote:

>> However now there are far more computers running MacOS, which is
>> UNIX, than all other variants combined ever.
>
> MacOS is UNIX?  I didn't think they had the right to use the
> trademark.

MacOS has been certified UNIX(TM) for over a year now.

It's also UNIX in most of the ways that count.

> (It's Unix, the non-trademark generic term, to an extent - quite a bit
> from a simplistic user POV and less and less so the deeper you look,
> whether as an admin or coder.)

Why, because it has Mac and IOKit underneath?

Does that really matter?  BSD and AT&T look pretty different in the
guts too.

BSD 1989 is quite different from BSD 2009 as well.

Quite a few UNIX and UNIX(TM) in the past have also sat on things like
Mach, a few even more radically different than that in the guts and
lower layers.

UNIX was only "the same" until about the mid-late 80s.  After that
UNIX was no longer sources, but a set of compatible APIs, interfaces,
tools, etc.

None of them resemble each other very much any more, except in their
externals.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com