[geeks] Google announces Google Chrome OS

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 21:54:17 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Phil Stracchino<alaric at metrocast.net> wrote:
> Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
>> Bill Bradford wrote:
>>> http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html
>>
>> Bleh.  The world doesn't need another Linux distribution.
>
> This doesn't read to me as "another Linux distribution" so much as
> "We're going to turn general-purpose computers into single-purpose
> web-browser appliances".  When all you have is a hammer, everything
> looks like a nail, and Google has a really big hammer.

How is this NOT a re-invention of the Thin-client model? The only real
differentiator I see is that the computing resources the thin-client
interacts with is across an internet WAN connection, not on the local
LAN network. Oh, and they likely adopted some spiffy new tool kits and
programming languages.

Am I just to old to see the wonderfulness of this "invention"?

--
Lionel Peterson
lionel4287 at gmail.com