[geeks] Google announces Google Chrome OS

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Wed Jul 8 20:12:24 CDT 2009

> Hasn't BPL been all but abandoned as a serious replacement for fiber,
> even residential?
>
> I think Verizon's FIOS is stomping all over anything else out there, in
> the regions it is available.
>
> --Patrick

BPL was supposed to be (relatively) free for the unwashed masses since many were deemed "too poor" to pay for internet service.  FIOS is relatively decent (sucks here.  Menus always going blank, internet lags even though we have the 20-20 service, ridiculous optimizing of the wifi) because is is better than what was available.  I even saw an article in Scientific American about networking with light rather than RF and even suggested using LED lights with BPL so no specialized equipment would be necessary (in one direction).  Almost wrote a letter to counter that suggestion but didn't because I figured the interference would be deemed a "non-issue" since it briefly presented BPL as if there were no problems with that technology.
No, BPL is still out there because some have invested heavily in it.

Bob