[geeks] Google announces Google Chrome OS

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Wed Jul 8 17:24:13 CDT 2009

> I like Valve's operation, STEAM, where you buy a license to a game and if
> it gets lost or corrupted, STEAM will automaticly reload or update it
> for you. You can also install the game onto several computers, but only
> run it on one at a time.

Right, because you have to be logged into Steam in some form to run the
game.  Steam has it's own DRM, and some non-Valve games can have
additional DRM.

I'd like Steam more if it took after Good Old Games, a similar service for
older games, except it doesn't have DRM:

http://www.gog.com/

> The downside is that it requires an Internet connection. I do not know
> what happens when it is down. I'll have to ask my son.

If you haven't already put your Steam client into offline mode when you
were last connected to their servers, you cannot run any of your Steam
games.  And some games in Steam require a constant connection to the Steam
servers and will not work in offline mode.

- Nate