[geeks] Google announces Google Chrome OS

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Wed Jul 8 16:23:42 CDT 2009

On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 16:41:03 -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Drive letters should have died at least ten years ago.  When a piece

I'm not a fan of the whole "device:path" thing; I prefer the Unix way.
But if you are going to do that, at least do it right. After all there
are plenty of examples of 'drive letters' used in other operating
systems where they did the obvious thing - to allow variables.

Wouldn't "$HOME:" be far better than "C:\Users\Mike" ?

And shouldn't removable devices be labelled with the filesystem label ?
I label all removable devices with useful names ("MSTICK"), so why
doesn't it become "MSTICK:" under Windows ?

Of course if Microsoft were to implement it, you would be able to plug
in a usb stick labelled "C" and watch your os disappear :)

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
  So I think I'm becoming a geek vampire. Damn. Hate when that happens.