[geeks] Google announces Google Chrome OS

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Jul 8 14:03:38 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 07:46:39PM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:

>Maybe Google are 'good people' right now, but what happens if they have
>a change of management and want to exploit all that information they
>have on you ? A quick change of their policy and it's theirs. You might
>think that if they do that, you'll stop using Google, but by that time
>it will be too late ... they'll already have your information, and
>you'll probably be hooked on Google by then anyway.

Google are good people? Search the web for information about BPL (broadband
over powerlines) and Google's $150 millon investment in it.

<rant>

Their attitude when confronted was "we're big, you're small, we can do
whatever we want".

One operator of a ham radio web site told me that BPL was an Internet
technology and not a radio technology and therefore it was not his concern.
Besides, without the revenue from Google ads, he could not keep his website
in business.

Note that except for the US, and now the UK, BPL was banned due to the radio
interference it creates. In the US, the technology was promised to not
affect ham bands, so most hams decided not to fight it. One of the frequencies
they used instead was for ship to shore communications, and in Austrailia the
marine radio operators sued to stop it.

</end rant>

Geoff.