[geeks] Google announces Google Chrome OS

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed Jul 8 13:18:19 CDT 2009

Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Windows really is poor at doing the required job.  It's a horrible
> design, except some of the bits underneath it all which are actually
> not bad.

Which bits are those?  ;)

Practically any time I try to do anything on Windows, I find myself
ranting at how stupidly Windows does ... something.

Yesterday's example is that Windows' handling of optical drives - in
fact, of multiple drives and network volumes, PERIOD - is utterly
broken.  It is based upon the assumptions that no computer will ever
have more than one optical drive, that said optical drive will always be
built-in and present at boot, and that no computer owner will ever
install additional hard disks that cause the drive letter assigned to
any drive to change.  And these assumptions are built in at the very
lowest levels of the OS.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.