[geeks] Google announces Google Chrome OS

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Wed Jul 8 02:19:46 CDT 2009

On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 01:58:06 -0400, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Bill Bradford wrote:
> > http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html
>
> Bleh.  The world doesn't need another Linux distribution.

I don't think it's just another Linux distribution ... it's more
interesting and more insidious than that.

>From what I can tell from a quick skim, it's just enough of Linux to
run the Chrome browser and more or less nothing else. All the
applications are supposed to be cloud ones.

It would make an interesting virtual machine to browse the web with ...
keeping the rest of the machine 'safe'. Not sure I'd like to trust the
cloud with my data though.

Of course this is Google doing this who are the Microsoft of the
internet. Mind you there's nothing stopping others doing the same.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 "Why are we hiding from the police, daddy?"