[geeks] SATA Cards

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 14:02:08 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 12:20 AM, Phil Stracchino<alaric at metrocast.net> wrote:

<snip>

> *nod*  babylon4 boots off a separate mirrored pair of 2.5" SATA disks.
> It's sorta frustrating to know that if I was working right now, I could
> fill all twelve array slots in the machine with 500GB disks for a few
> hundred dollars, or with 1TB disks for not much more.

I saw Hitachi 1TB drives for $69 (AR, $79 before) yesterday. That is a
new low AFAIK.

> I imagine when you're installing a large number of disks, the power
> savings of 2.5" disks are probably pretty significant.

I wonder about that - to create, say, a 2TB filesystem would require
likely two to three times as many 2.5" drives to create an array
similarly sized to one built with 3.5" drives (biggest 2.5" I've seen
is 500 Gig, but at 5400 RPM, best compromise drive would be a 320 Gig
at 7200 RPM), those additional 2.5" spindles might eliminate the
power-savings of the smaller form-factor drives...

--
Lionel Peterson
lionel4287 at gmail.com