[geeks] Dell sale on T105 Server

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 13:53:08 CDT 2009

On Jul 1, 2009, at 12:23 PM, "J. Alexander Jacocks"
<jjacocks at gmail.com> wrote:

> Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just a heads-up for anyone thinking about a nice, small Virtual
>> Machine hosting box, Dell is having a pretty good sale on their T105
>> Server.
>
> How loud is this server, and how piercing is the note given off by the
> fans?  Obviously 2 folks here are running these at home, but I live in
> a single-floor house, so noise is annoying, everywhere.  I'd even like
> to be able to work in my office, where the machine would live, if
> possible.
>
> I'm somewhat more noise-sensitive than most other 15 year IT veterans,
> so forgive me if my questions sound silly.

I have two servers with on vacation (I know, I know), one is the Dell
T105, the other is a DIY P4 server in a standard Antec chassis.

The DIY box is loudest, clearly audible from 15 feet away (other side
of room), the T105 is audible when it is within arms reach (not
silent, but not in any way loud). For comparison, my son's xbox 360 is
louder than the T105.

My server has dual HDs (7200 RPM) but does not have the add-in HD
fan... Yet, I may just add it, though it is a preference, not a
requirement IMHO.

Lionel