[geeks] Dell sale on T105 Server

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jul 1 13:17:23 CDT 2009

On Jul 1, 2009, at 03:31 , Michael-John Turner wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 09:34:38AM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> I like this box, I think it is a good deal, and I thought I
>> would share it here.
>
> I second Lionel's recommendation. I have a T105 with an Opteron 1352
> and
> 8GiB RAM running VMware Server 2.0 on Debian 5.0 (lenny) and it
> works like
> a champ. Due to some Linux issues with the nVidia SATA chipset NCQ
> isn't
> enabled but other than that everything just works and it's a pretty
> solid
> budget 'server'.

The MCP Pro chipset in the T105 does not have leading/bleeding edge
SATA support, and doesn't support AHCI.

It's possible you'll never see NCQ support, and you certainly won't
ever see full NCQ support.

It's a server chipset so it was made conservative at the time of
release to be reliable rather than have all the features of the
desktop versions.

I have a T105 I upgraded to quad-core and 8GB running Solaris 10, and
it is one of the most reliable machines I've ever had, of any type.

If we could get machines like this with really nice ROM software, that
would just be awesome.  All of us know of course that it is perfectly
possible, technically, it's just political hurdles that keep us from
having it.

There is no reason we could not have a ROM that supports new standards
and also legacy BIOS hooks for current software.

Build a bridge, get across it, and burn the damned thing already!