[geeks] carrying a heavy load on a bike

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 09:52:40 CST 2009

I have a mountain bike, hardtail. I need to carry a good bit of
weight. I have decent panniers that can take the load and a vintage
aluminium rack and while the top of my current rack is more than
strong enough, the two side parts cant hold the rack from swinging
from side to side. Off the street, that's an accident waiting to
happen.

I have a blackburn rack on my road bike that would be perfect although
it is 700c. They sell a MTB specific model also, but my main problem
is that this mountain bike has no eyelets for a rack, and it is
aluminium.

So I was wondering if anybody has seen a kit to mount a rack using the
rear axle and the seat post and/or the brake mounts (v brake, not
disk). I've seen one with a special quick release skewer, but I'm
running a solid axle on this bike.

If not I can always fabricate something, but if I can save a bit of time...