[geeks] Level monitoring

james james at jdfogg.com
Thu Jan 22 07:13:59 CST 2009

> >> Does anyone have any good, practical suggestions for
> how to remotely >> monitor and log the propane level in an
> outside propane tank? >>
> >
> > Can't you just go out every couple of days and light a
> > match over the opening so you can see more clearly to
> the bottom of the tank? >
> > [/darwinaward]

You only have two good ways -

Weight.

Float level (you'll need temperature compensation for
volume).

There are commercial float levels, I used to use one on a
100lb tank for an RV. It was a dial indicator though, not
remote sense. I would expect there is something in the
market that is remote sense.

Another method actually works well, temperature difference.
Have you ever seen a propane tank sweat in the summer? The
line where the sweating stops is the top of the liquid
propane.

You could probably hack an electronic scale and make a tank
holder that weighs the tank.