[geeks] ground loop isolators

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Jan 16 23:46:51 CST 2009

Does anyone know if there is significant difference between one ground
loop isolator and another.

For example, is there really a notable difference between a $15
Scosche and a $40 Xitec?

I used a Scosche RCA isolator to break a ground loop in my computer
sound system caused by the Mac Pro, speaker system, and Windows box
being on different UPS circuits.

My UPS provides 3 isolated circuits, which is great except for the
induced ground loop.

It was easier to get a GLI and put it in-line coming out of the Mac
Pro to kill the loop than to rewire all of the power to come from a
single UPS circuit.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knew of a significant
difference between units.

I have not tested extensively yet, but it seems that the GLI has
improved the sound.

A lot of people told me it would hurt the sound, but it seems to me
that the hum was killing bass and treble signals more than the GLI is.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy that the loop was easy to kill by just
isolating one computer's output.