[geeks] Unsecured Wifi connections now illegal in part of India.

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Tue Jan 13 19:51:16 CST 2009

> You've got it backwards, the "bad guys" went to a neighborhood and
> used, say, your insecure home WiFi hotspot to send emails, when the
> Gov't tracked the IP address to your home, they assumed YOU were the
> terrorist, and acted accordingly.

> If your home hotspot was "secure" they would have avoided that
> confusion, since the "bad guy" couldn't use your Internet connection.

No, if it were secure that would be the case.  If it were "secure"
(which is the best that wifi can do without current-research
technology), it would actually be worse, because then when the bad guys
crack your WEP or whatever you use and leech your connectivity, the
government becomes much surer it's you doing it.  I know of someone
who's mooching off a neighbour's "secure" wifi right now - and this
guy, while good enough with computers to be making a living at them, is
by no stretch a spook-level crypto expert or anything.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org