[geeks] Unsecured Wifi connections now illegal in part of India.

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Tue Jan 13 10:02:08 CST 2009

> I assume that this regulation will mirror similar laws here in the US
> - seatbelt and motorcycle helmet laws.  Driving/riding without either
> a seatbelt or helmet makes you a criminal in most states.

Only if you do so on public roads.

The extent to which this is relevant is a separate question.

> The law is being applied equally against both terrorists and
> law-abiding citizens.

"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the
poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal
bread."

> In Canada (I understand - der Mouse please correct me if i'm wrong)
> it is against the law to operate a motor vehicle with the headlights
> off, even during the day.

I don't know; I don't drive, and haven't been paying attention to
headlights in daytime.  (But, as with helmets and seatbelts, I don't
for a moment believe such a law would apply except on public roads.)

All these arguments have the flaw that as far as I know nobody has
claimed the Mumbai attackers were _operating_ an open wifi hotspot.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org