[geeks] jackassery from the BBC

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 10:44:09 CST 2009

On Jan 8, 2009, at 3:19 AM, "kevin r. marshall" <kevin at pipeline.com>
wrote:

> BBC advocates complete physical destruction of hard drives for data
> saftey.
>
> Persoannly, until i see data thevies shelling out for scanning
> electron microscopy, i'm not terribly concerned.
>
> Maybe we could start a cottage industry with this... go door to
> door, charge $50 a pop and your only startup costs are an A2 Philips
> driver and baby sledge.

I always view these stories being more about how most folks don't
exercise even minimal data security than about how easy it is to
retrive info from discarded HDs...

An IT version of "look how easy it is to get into someone's house if
they don't lock all the doors and windows."

Here at $work we use Darik's Boot And Nuke (http://www.dban.com/) and
we are comfortable with the results vs. effort involved.

Lionel