[geeks] jackassery from the BBC

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu Jan 8 09:51:25 CST 2009

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Toshiba released 1.8" disk drives in 2004 with an areal density of 177
> to 200 Gb per square inch; Hitachi demonstrated perpendicular recording
> at areal densities of 230GB/in^2;

Er, that was meant to be Gb/in^2, of course.  I also meant to add that
Hitachi demonstrated that density in 2005.

Of course, given:

Toshiba		2004	177 Gb/in^2
Hitachi		2005	230 Gb/in^2
Seagate		2006	400+ Gb/in^2

One might speculate that the current state of the art may well be in the
500Gb/in^2 to 600Gb/in^2 range.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.