[geeks] jackassery from the BBC

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Thu Jan 8 08:31:37 CST 2009

> I heard somewhere that SEM doesn't work on the perpendicular write
> drives anymore anyway because the data density is a higher resolution
> than a SEM can resolve.  Does anyone know if there is any truth to
> this?

I for one don't believe it until I see something firmer than "I heard
somewhere".  SEMs, if I'm thinking of the right device (maybe I'm
thinking of atomic force microscopes?), can resolve individual atoms,
and if the magnetic domains are smaller than that then (a) we the disk
customers being grossly cheated on storage density and (b) I want to
know what's storing the data.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org