[geeks] Suggestions for USB to serial adapter?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 15:55:49 CDT 2009

On Aug 21, 2009, at 10:43 AM, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 10:26:43AM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> On a related note, does anyone make a USB->serial adapter that
>> directly
>> supports an RJ45 serial connector (Cisco/Sun compatible)? I'd like
>> one
>> without a small block of adaptors hanging off it...
>>
>> Surely someone identified that market segment and created a product
>> address it.
>
> I have seen no such thing.  I did see one with screw terminals, but it
> may have been RS-485.
>
> However, FTDI does sell cables that terminate in bare wires that I
> would
> assume you could easily cripm into an RJ45 jack.
>
> How much would you be willing to pay for such a product anyway ($50?),
> and how many other people would pay a similar price?

If the USB dongle had an rj45 jack I would be able to happily rig up
any cable I need - straight through for Cisco/Sun/etc, and an rj45 to
9 or 25 pin, male or female jumper could be made as needed for any
special apps.

It should be no more expensive than a similar quality USB-Serial
adapter. The idea being you don't need to have a Cisco cable, just
Cat5 and the dongle...

$25? For one that fully supports break and any other 'special' console
needs..

Lionel