[geeks] Suggestions for USB to serial adapter?

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Aug 21 12:32:48 CDT 2009

On Aug 21, 2009, at 08:37 , William Enestvedt wrote:

> Shannon, it might be iTerm that's giving you headaches: I abandonded
> it
> a while ago because of varied performance suckinesses [1].

It started out bad but rapidly improved.  Beats the hell out of
terminal.app and everything else I've found.

The problem is that the keyspan driver fails, and the chain it keyspan-
 >screen->iterm locks up.

Maybe iTerm should be able to release an application it's called, but
from my debugging it appears that iTerm is trying, and MacOS is
refusing to allow it.

Also, this happens to other programs without iTerm involved.  They'll
be using a serial device provided by the Keyspan driver, and the
device just goes away or locks up, causing the programs to malfunction
or hang waiting on the device.

To fix you either have to unload the driver, remove the Keyspan
device, or both.

I frequently use screen as a terminal program inside of iTerm because
every other Mac terminal program I have tried for the Mac sucks really
bad.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com