[geeks] EVC and HP C360...

Nate nate at portents.com
Wed Aug 19 21:07:38 CDT 2009

On Aug 11, 2009, at 2:56 AM, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 11:58:48 -0400 (EDT)
> nate at portents.com wrote:
>
>> b) if there's something that can cause an HP Visualize C360 (PA-RISC)
>> workstation to not output video through it's video card?
> The PROM may be configured to use serial console. Check if you can get
> somthing on the serial ports at power up.

I connected a PC via a null modem adapter and used HyperTerminal in
Windows to make sure the console was set to graphics(1) (the HP
Visualize-EG PCI adapter with the EVC connector).  No go, and I tried
changing from 1280x1024 75Hz to 1024x768 75Hz (displaying to a
1600x1200 LCD that I know has no trouble with those resolutions), and
rebooted with a PS/2 keyboard and mouse connected, which deactivated
the serial terminal, but no signal on the LCD... thinking it was
perhaps a sync-on-green issue, I double-checked the LCD specs, and it
supports separate horizontal and vertical, 3.3V CMOS or 5V TTL level,
positive or negative sync., and SOG (Sync on green).  I'm out of ideas.

BTW, for anyone trying to install HP-UX via serial console *do not*
use HyperTerminal.  It will stop displaying any text or transmitting
any text when you get the point of the install where you select your
keyboard, and some googling turned up the suggestion to use Tera Term,
which does work like a charm.  Guess that means HyperTerminal sucks,
and Tera Term does not.

- Nate