[geeks] DL380 does not see external USB drive

Ido Dubrawsky idubraws at dubrawsky.org
Tue Aug 18 14:30:25 CDT 2009

I've got a DL380 running Ubuntu Server 8.04 which does not see any
external USB drives.  I'm trying to attach a 250GB external USB drive to
backup the VMware images in my lab and when I plug the drive into the
USB ports in the back I see the following message in dmesg:

[ 4110.951607] Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...

[ 4110.951682] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage

[ 4110.951687] USB Mass Storage support registered.

But I never see anything about what SCSI device it will appear as.  I do
see the usbcore, libusual and usb_storage drivers are loaded (which I
also infer from the above in dmesg) but it appears that the USB devices
are being registered as character devices:

root at earth:/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-server# cat /proc/devices

Character devices:

  1 mem

  2 pty

  3 ttyp

  4 /dev/vc/0

  4 tty

  4 ttyS

  5 /dev/tty

  5 /dev/console

  5 /dev/ptmx

  6 lp

  7 vcs

 10 misc

 13 input

 21 sg

 29 fb

 99 ppdev

119 vmnet

128 ptm

136 pts

180 usb

189 usb_device

Block devices:

  1 ramdisk

  2 fd

  7 loop

 11 sr

104 cciss0

I've trolled over a variety of websites and have not found anything to
explain why this is happening.  Can anyone provide a clue that I'm
missing?

Ido

--

Ido Dubrawsky