[geeks] Understanding ZFS performance (maybe) part 2 - NFS performance solved for $100 bucks

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Mon Aug 10 23:14:14 CDT 2009

Joshua Boyd wrote:

> You probably don't want to spend the money, but I'd love to see you
> directly compare this against a flash drive.  Maybe you could look at
> the OCZ Vertex drives, or even the cheaper (and probably slower) Emphase
> SATA modules from logic supply (1 gig for $31).
>
> I suspect that the product you did get gives us a good idea how Sun's
> Logzilla drive would improve things.

I think that the log is limited by how fast the media can be written to.

Thus the 24MB/second Sata modules would limit writes, though I guess you
could stripe them.

I was confused earlier about SSDs and Sun, because I thought the ZIL and
the cache code was the same, but now I see that you could have any
amount of SSDs in front of the disks and as the cache warmed up, reads
would get faster and faster; and ZIL on SSD could get faster and faster
as you mirrored then striped the log disks.

Will be interesting to see what happens with storage in the next few years.

--Patrick