[geeks] Building on OpenSolaris vs Solaris 10

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 17:51:04 CDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 2:03 PM, velociraptor<velociraptor at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tossing a couple of oddball q's out there.  Hoping some of you might
> have some pointers...
>
> I'm running Solaris 10 on my NAS at home, which presents some issues
> as to software.  For the most part, blastwave packages are fine for my
> purposes, but I'm having some trouble with a couple of things, and
> would like to "roll my own" (vlc, mplayer & friends, bittorrent
> client).
>
> So, anyone have any info and/or pointers on using spec files from
> OpenSolaris in a build environment on Solaris 10?  Alternatively, is
> it possible to run OpenSolaris in a container (branded, maybe?).

Following up my own post...

I found this thread on the pkg-discuss list:

http://markmail.org/message/3yzv2wos3shlc4r7#query:+page:1+mid:3yzv2wos3shlc4
r7+state:results

Which implies that it is at least possible to build some ips packages
on Solaris 10.  I'll definitely be taking a snapshot before I start
mucking with this.

Further reading also indicates that Solaris 10 will run in an
OpenSolaris zone (it was not stated if it was a branded zone or not,
though).  Going to have to google some more for that part.

 I'd consider running a VBox OpenSolaris instance, but I'm having
issues with the network in VBox.  I'll be installing an Intel network
card tonight, as I'm hoping it's just the drivers for the RealTek
8111C.  High network load through VBox has forced me to power cycle
the Solaris host several times--it makes the NIC fall over dead, and
locks up the gui as well.  Switching to bridged from a NAT
configuration made it worse--with NAT the VM would just crash.

=Nadine=