[geeks] the end of the internet as we know it.

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Tue Aug 4 12:50:40 CDT 2009

> Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> That would likely not fly around here - that would restrict homeless
>> people from the "Information Superhighway," and that is bad.
>>
>> Also, think of the poorly documented "visitors" here in America, they
>> have a "right" to access those library resources without proving their
>> residency...
>
> Which is all stupidly shortsighted.  When everyone has a right to use
> every service "for free", no-one will be able to afford to provide the
> services.

<sarcasm>
But if we don't extend our services to non-citizens, how can we continue
to indirectly support agribusiness and the fast food industry in it's
goals of bringing ever-cheaper meat products to people's tables by hiring
illegal immigrants to do things like work in the meat-packing industry
(where decades ago we had a well-paid well-trained union workers who cost
companies more), illegal immigrants some of whom used to be corn farmers
before US subsidized corn production caused the bottom to fall out of the
corn market and bankrupted their non-subsidized corn production in their
countries?  And why should we hire well-paid, well-trained American meat
packers or feed cows expensive things their bodies can digest normally
like grass (instead of corn which their bodies can't handle properly) when
we can instead work on technological solutions like putting meat through
centrifuges and dosing it with ammonia before squirting it into plastic
bags in boxes to be shipped with very little bacteria in it to fast food
restaurants around the country?
</sarcasm>

Seriously, if we went after US companies who've hired and benefited by
illegal immigrants the same way that we went after "commies" in the 1960s
(and frankly I feel many companies today are less patriotic than the
"commies" were), we would be a lot better off.  That and if we outlawed
commercial lobbying of any kind in politics.

- Nate