[geeks] the end of the internet as we know it.

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Aug 4 11:14:05 CDT 2009

" From: der Mouse <mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG>
"
" >> my voip does e911; i had to fill some forms out before they'd even
" >> turn it on,
" > Interesting.  I work for a VoIP provider, and we turn on E911 by
" > default for all US customers.  You have to specifically request it to
" > be turned off if you have a reason to (moving out of the country for
" > example, and taking your service with you).
"
" I work for an ISP that, among other things, provides VoI (what "VoIP"
" really should be called - VoIP proper has been in use a lot longer than
" people not in the industry realize, just over dedicated links rather
" than the open Internet).
"
" We are required, by CRTC regulation, to provide access to 911 services
" on all phones we support in Canada.  We are not permitted to turn it
" off even on direct customer request;

sorry if i was unclear; i had to do the e911 forms before they'd turn
the -voip- on.