[geeks] the end of the internet as we know it.

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Aug 4 07:58:04 CDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 08:50:38AM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:

>The obvious way around that is to require proof of address to get a
>library card, and require a library card to use the library computers.
>As a matter of fact I don't think I've been in a library that had
>public-access computers (other than just to access their online catalog)
>and *didn't* require a library card to use them.

In this case around 1990 the new director's wife walked in for her first
time in a library. She applied for a card and wanted to take out books.
The librarian refused as the then policy was to mail the card (to verify
your address). The next day that policy was changed and anyone can walk
in and walk out with a library card.

Geoff.