[geeks] the end of the internet as we know it.

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 07:35:49 CDT 2009

On 4 Aug 2009, at 12:18, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:

>> Second, that's good, right? Provided your BitTorrent traffic is
>> lawful... I suppose that depends who decides what is lawful though?
>
> Yes, but I was using that as an example.
>
> How much traffic do you get from the US? Most of my entertainment
> comes
> from places outside the US, while must of my phone calls, news, web
> content,
> etc comes from inside.

I in turn was elaborating on said example to make my point. My basic
point being that's great, as long as 'The man on charge' deems what
you are doing to be lawful. The upshot being what *you* are using
bandwidth for may be lawful but the service may be disallowed via the
guilt-by-association mentality that has lead services like BitTorrent,
which I only use for aquiring legitimately free products such as music
by Nine Inch Nails and Linux distros, to be disallowed or throttled.
This is where the problem originally arose from and was justified with.

--
Mark Benson

http://markbenson.org/blog
http://twitter.com/MDBenson