[geeks] CF as IDE

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sun Aug 2 10:42:05 CDT 2009

Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> Patrick Giagnocavo writes ...
>
>> Are you sure you don't want an SSD?  They make them in 1.8"
>> capacity up to at least 64GB.  Should run cool as well.
>
> Actually, I thought a properly adapted and configured CF card _was_ an SSD.
>
> Got a pointer to a real, dedicated 1.8" SSD?

I thought so too, until I started looking at CF solutions to replace
Cymru's laptop hard disk, and found that a purpose-built 2.5" SSD is
specced to have roughly twice the read access speed.  1.8" PATA SSDs
seem to be rare beasts though.

Here's a 16GB for $160, technology unspecified, claiming 100MB/sec
sustained read and write:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260386555020

And here's a 32GB for $300 that states it's SLC:
http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=4659

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.