[geeks] enum in C and compiler warnings

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Apr 27 15:08:25 CDT 2009

I generally write C code with fairly strict compiler settings.

On some fairly new code the compiler is bitching about unused enums.

static enum {
	forward, back, up, down, _ENDBUTTON_
} buttonstates;

These enums really are used, but the compiler doesn't see that for
some reason.

Is this a compiler bug, or is there something I am supposed to do here?

I frequently use enums in embedded programming to generate state lists
and things like that, and having the compiler abort on certain
warnings is quite helpful, so I hate to turn that off just to get
around this one issue.