[geeks] Any jobs?

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Apr 24 01:38:56 CDT 2009

On Apr 24, 2009, at 00:35 , Aaron Finley wrote:

> On 4/23/09, Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
>> Even in good times, if I want to earn the same as a $70K/year W2
>> employee, I probably need to charge at least $100K/year to cover the
>> difference in my own costs.  This difference has increased, and
>> client
>> are not paying as much of it as they did.
>>
>> The end result is I make less money now, quite a bit less if you
>> account for the massive expansion in fiat currency and direct
>> taxation.
>>
>> I'm also trying to work out ways around all this, even if it means
>> ultimately getting of this rat race and jumping into another.
>
> With respect, it should be obvious to you that you need to identify a
> new skillset or offset of your existing skillset with a higher rate.
> It is expected that rates and perks go down over time for same skill.

With respect, that is quite off.

This has nothing to do with particular skills for one thing, as
contract rates are falling across the board, for pretty much all skill
levels and without much regard for how "new" the skills are.

The fact that the trend is going against demand is a big part of why
it is hard to combat.

Besides, all things being equal, pay generally increases with time as
your experience increases, and remains so unless the skill is not
needed, and that has certainly been true for me.  I make quite a bit
more than others doing the same job but with less time on the job and
less training.

I've also noticed that people who went after the money for the "latest
and greatest" skills sets have been hurt worse than those of us with
more traditional education and more bedrock skills sets.

Most of all, people who are able to learn are having the easiest time.

Skill and training is a good thing to look at, yes, but I'm talking
about factors outside of that since they are much harder to do
anything about.