[geeks] Any jobs?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Thu Apr 23 21:36:31 CDT 2009

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Anyone know of any reasonably secure jobs available?  I can write code
> in many, many languages.  I can admin AIX, Solaris, Linux and BSD.
>
> Thanks.

I would encourage every geek, especially one with your tremendous
skills, to try to figure out how to get off the wage treadmill, where in
order to earn twice as much you have to put in twice the hours.

I have not figured out a way to fully do it either, so we're all in the
same boat... although the colocation and web-hosting I do, sort-of lets
me start doing that.

I get paid for the results, and customers don't care how long it takes,
just that the work is performed at a set price and things don't break.

Therefore if I figure out how to do something faster or cheaper, I get
to keep the resulting additional profit.

IIRC you mentioned being a SMIT fan ... I understand SMIT can be
extended with custom plugins/extensions.  Any chance you have experience
with something that you could turn into a plugin and sell/maintain?

e.g. something more complex than
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/aix/library/au-extendsmit/index.html

Or something else that requires your talents...

I can understand you might well be looking for job/money right now,
sorry I can't help with that.

Cordially

--Patrick