[geeks] Tim Oren on Oracle - Sun

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Tue Apr 21 19:21:08 CDT 2009

Lionel Peterson wrote:
> On Apr 21, 2009, at 5:27 PM, Francois Dion <francois.dion at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> According to Oracle's own presentation at the investor meeting, I
>> highlighted here a few points from their powerpoint:
>>
>> -Optimize Solaris and Oracle for better performance, reliability, and
>> manageability
>> -Protects massive customer investment in SPARC
>> -Open Storage built with industry standard servers and components
>> -Expands Oracles range of products, including servers and storage
>> -Sustain Solaris as an industry standard OS for Oracle software
>
> Well honestly, what else can they say?
>
>  - we plan to bury MySQL, there's no money in 'free' RDBMS

They will sell support licenses that are 50% of the price of Oracle
licenses, making Oracle look like a "better" choice as Oracle has more stuff

>  - we will cease all work on Solaris in favor of _________

They may keep Solaris around.  Now that OpenSolaris is out, there is not
much they can do to keep that genie in the box.

They could try to tie Oracle sales into Solaris support sales.  I wonder
if Solaris 10 Update 7 will be a free download as before?

>  - we will cap UltraSPARC development, in favor of commodity boxes

They will increase SPARC prices, because those users are a captive
market, if they haven't migrated already they are not able to

Alternatively they could try to go for volume and end up fighting AMD
for second place...

--Patrick