[geeks] Continuing Adult Education

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 23:24:09 CDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Rick Hamell <hamellr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have a line on a cheap, online adult degree program? I don't
> care about the field, as long as it's something interesting. It doesn't
> even have to be in the US, as long as the degree itself would be legally
> recognized if checked up on.
>
> For the record, University of Phoenix is right out. In my area their
> reputation is only slightly above ITT, and after dealing with them 2-3
> years ago in an attempt to get a CS Degree, I was not impressed with the
> company as a whole.

Western Governor's University is 100% online and has no course-based
constraints.  You pay for 6 months of attendance, set learning goals
with your mentor and once you've reached the mastery of the material
for your degree, you get the degree.  It's fully accredited, and is
reasonably priced when you factor in the lack of "must attend for # of
classes factor".  I'd be more interested their Master's in security if
their IT stuff wasn't so M$ centric.  They may be willing to adapt for
someone in UNIX, I just haven't pursued it.

A manager in operations at my work is attending Colorado Technical
University to complete her Bachelor's.  She likes it a lot; it appears
to have a lot of relevance to working professionals--she used
something that happened at work a while back in one of her classes as
a case study on incident handling.

=Nadine=