[geeks] [rant] New rebate "checks"

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 11:03:33 CDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com>wrote:

> I've bought a few "after rebate" deals, and more and more often, instead of
> sending me a check for the rebate amount they send me "debit cards" - WTF?
>
> It is annoying to find ways to get rid of $10 charge cards, for example,
> unless I go to a restaurant and can ask the waitress to just put $10 on the
> card...
>
> Anyone else annoyed by this?
>
> Lionel

Yes, they are a royal pain.  Their use is also limited.

I received one from AT&T for a new phone.  If I use it at a gas station, I
have to go inside and tell them charge $X.XX.  The reason I pay at the pump
is because it is quicker.

I made a "big box" purchase at a store and they were only too happy to
charge two cards.

Of course, AT&T provided a debit card from AT&T bank so they received the 3%
card fee that vendors pay.

My employer hands out WalMart cards and they work very well.  WalMart
doesn't care if there is one use or multiple, the cashiers smile and say,
"Thank you for shopping at WalMart!"