[geeks] Solaris install with Jumpstart

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Sun Apr 12 22:39:54 CDT 2009

" From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
"
" On Apr 12, 2009, at 08:10 , Lionel Peterson wrote:
"
" []
"
" The PC pxeboot part is trivial.
"
" The main issue seemed to be configuring DHCP and bootparams to
" recognize the PC and configure it to start the OS transfer.
"
" It's not a hard process, just something in there was not working.
"
" I think it might be something about DHCP macros.  Some of the
" documentation on that self-conflicts, so I probably have errors in
" there, not sure.

i first encountered jumpstart way back in '95, in s2.4 days.  it took
me a long time to sort it out and get customized finish scripts honed
to where i could install the first 6 desktops hands-off, and i was 2
weeks late.  in the process i discovered i could move all of the files
except the tftp'd kernel to a netapp filer, and that one of the 3
config files - bootparams iirc, but it's been a long time - did not
behave as docs said; in particular, you can't break lines and continue
them with a backslash.  took me quite a while to find that the entries
i'd neatly formatted following examples were the problem...

then of course i looked like a hero when the second 6 desktops came in
and i had them all up the same day, including walking around and
asking the users what names they wanted.

i wouldn't be surprised if the bug has been fixed since then; i
wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't.  and this was bootp era; i didn't
deal with dhcp.