[geeks] Solaris install with Jumpstart

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Apr 12 03:34:49 CDT 2009

On Apr 11, 2009, at 23:51 , Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>> I'm two weeks late getting this server upgraded to U6, and any help
>> appreciated.
>>
>> I have never seen a network install as complicated as Jumpstart, but
>> since I can't install from DVD, it is currently my only option.
>>
>> If someone else has done this, maybe you could share your steps and
>> configuration, and it would help me figure out if I have something
>> misconfigured or whatever.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> What worked for me was using "snoop" on the jumpstart server to see
> what
> was failing.

What worked for me is saying the hell with it and buying an external
DVD burner to install with.

Solaris Jumpstart is like spending three days hooking 20 horses up to
a grocery buggy so you can buy a gallon of milk.

Everyone else just carries the milk in their hands.

	:)

Having said that, I would like to eventually figure out how to get it
running, so for now I have saved my Jumpstart setup and will revisit
it at a later date.

> of course you should have things setup in /etc/ethers too, which was
> my
> problem.
>
> I think the right incantation is (on the server)
>
> snoop 8:0:20:f:b1:51
>
> Replace with the MAC address of the machine you are trying to
> jumpstart.
>
> Then try the boot process and pay attention to what is failing.

When I get more time I'll give that a go.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com