[geeks] Backup software (yeah, yeah, I know)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Thu Apr 9 16:16:58 CDT 2009

 Saith Lionel Peterson ...

> Have you considered a networked HD? You could put gobs and gobs of
> storage in one and backup using CIFS/SMB or FTP, and suitable
> enclosures are fairly cheap... On the order of $40-100, depending on
> drive interface (SATA or IDE), and number of drive bays.
>
> The netgear SC101 is one option, they take two IDE drives, do RAID 0
> or RAID 1 (IIRC), and are pretty cheap ($40 for first-gen hardware).

I thought about that, even if the things are at least twice the price here
in France as they are back in the Big PX.  Of course, DVD-Rs are about five
times the cost here as in the USA, so maybe I shouldn't complain about the
price of hard drives.

My main objection is that it's another dam' thing to carry, but I might just
have to make room.

Thanks for the reminder.

-Shel