[geeks] FreeBSD iSCSI question

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Apr 9 13:32:49 CDT 2009

I'm trying to get iscsi support working for $JOB, on FreeBSD 7.

Just need initiator (client) support at the moment.

It's going badly.  The initiator frequently just hangs up in the
driver requiring a reboot to get out of it.

It not only does this while reading/writing to the target, but even
sometimes during discovery.

The server is Solaris 10, and Windows and Solaris clients can use it
just fine.  I don't find it particularly fast, but it works.

I'm using it over gigabit ethernet, which should be at least reasonable.

Does anyone know if FreeBSD iscsi is currently in a production ready
state?

I've tried FreeBSD 7.1 and it is a little better, but not much, and
the client still eventually gets hung in the driver.

I tried also running the target on FreeBSD, and while fairly easy to
get started, twice I got a kernel panic in the scsi code.

Am I wasting my time, or is this likely something I can solve by
changing how I do things?

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com