[geeks] Solaris 10 U6: install failure

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Apr 6 13:53:37 CDT 2009

On Apr 6, 2009, at 14:20 , J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:

> Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 6, 2009, at 09:57 , Bill Bradford wrote:
>>
>>   On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 01:34:17AM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>>
>>       I have no idea how to create a Jumpstart server, if that is
>> what you
>>       mean.
>>

>>   http://www.sunmanagers.org/pipermail/summaries/2005-March/006223.html
>>
>>   http://www.sun.com/blueprints/1299/settingup.pdf
>>

>> Sorry, I mean to say "without a Sun or Solaris machine".
>>
>> I tried once before to make a Jumpstart server with FreeBSD, but
>> was never able to make it work after messing with it a few hours.
>> >Really hate to go down that path again.
>>
>> I think I'm going to see if there is a way to specify alternate
>> media, or do the trick Andrew mentioned.
>
> Shannon,
>
> Did you consider installing Solaris x86 as a jumpstart server, under
> Paralells, VMware Fusion, or VirtualBox, on the Mac Pro?  I've used
> VM-based jumpstart servers sucessfully many times in the past.

Doh!

I use Fusion every day to do my embedded system work.

I even have OpenSolaris running in one.

	:) 	:) 	:) 	:)

Damn, I feel stupid.

I was getting ready to rip drives out of my Wintendo so I could
install Solaris on it.

> If you need details, SunManagers has had this topic brought up several
> times, in the past.  Also, there are lots of good jumpstart articles
> on Sun's BigAdmin site.
>
> Drop me a line, off-list, if you need more help setting up jumpstart,
> I'd be glad to help.

I'll give it a try later this week.

This might be the solution.

Will post if I have any issues.

The only thing left now is, once the system is up and running, how to
use the old driver so I can have SATA DVD support.

Thanks.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com