[geeks] Solaris 10 U6: install failure

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Mon Apr 6 07:42:13 CDT 2009

" From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
"
" On Apr 5, 2009, at 20:29 , William Enestvedt wrote:
"
" > Anything on your network you could use as a boot server, or even to
" > share out the DVD via NFS?
"
" I have no idea how to create a Jumpstart server, if that is what you
" mean.
"
" I have:
"
" 	1 Mac Pro
" 	1 "Wintendo" running Windows XP, sometimes FreeBSD
" 	1 Dell T105 server
" 	numerous embedded systems

the dvd has setup_install_server and add_install_client scripts on it.
they're obviously meant for solaris but it should be possible to make
osx, freebsd, and probably even xp/sfu serve.

" Can you start the install from the DVD, but install from NFS instead
" of the DVD media or something?

you may be able to boot dvd -s, start nfs, mount the svr, and then
start install by hand.

" > I know the installer should take a FLAR, but that doesn't help you
" > any.
" > :7(
"
" What is a FLAR?

flash archive, install-fmt image of a running system.  vy gd for
duplicating std config, also gd for fast accurate restore onto new
h/w.

you have to have a running system to make a flar from...