[geeks] PCI Express SATA Multilane for Solaris

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Apr 6 00:37:05 CDT 2009

On Apr 5, 2009, at 20:46 , Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>> On Apr 4, 2009, at 18:39 , Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>
>>> Sans digital sells "kits" with controller and multi-lane cables, I
>>> think they are standard SiL chipset reference designs, and as such
>>> "should" be fine with solaris, but no personal exp.
>>
>> Everything I've read says those things suck.  Bad performance, etc.
>>
>> I was thinking of something maybe by LSI Logic, but wasn't sure which
>> ones worked well.
>
> Well, a fast search of FTW seems to say LSI makes a significant number
> of PCI-e SAS cards with up to 16 ports per card.

Way too expensive.

This is mostly for getting a lot of storage, so speed isn't as
important as Solaris support and reliability.

However, from what I've read the SIL chipsets can barely keep up with
just a single drive.

Hell, if I can't find a way to install U6, it won't matter... :)

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com