[geeks] PCI Express SATA Multilane for Solaris

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Apr 4 16:57:01 CDT 2009

I have picked out a 5-bay case to use for a new ZFS raidz setup on my
Solaris server.

It's a Sans Digital 5-bay hot-swap with a single PM/multi-lane port on
the back, and it has a built-in power supply, and a 120mm fan.

I know there are better cases out there, but they get expensive fast,
and this one seems decent enough to me.

So now what I need is a SATA PCI Express card that will work with this
unit and has good Solaris drivers.

I personally find Sun's HCL confusing and hard to navigate, and it
seems to be missing a lot of hardware that I know is supported, so I
doubt it is a good reference to find out what SATA PM cards will work.

I'd like some ideas, especially backed by personal experience, for a
good PCI Express SATA card to use in this application.