[geeks] SGI files Ch11 again, bought by Rackable for $25M

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 13:13:37 CDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
> It's not an April Fools joke, and in case you haven't heard:
>
> http://www.sunhelp.org/2009/04/01/sgi-sold-to-rackable-systems-for-25m/

Firstly can I say *ouch* 25M is complete chump change. They either
have massive debts to clear or they really ain't worth jack save for
the name.

I also think it's a shame, SGI were getting into using large scale
reprogrammable gate array technology to make re-taskable hardware
(software at gate level, effectively) to make large supercomputers
that were re-ncfigurable depending on the task required.

I don't know how successful or great the technology was but th idea
was pretty neat all the same. It struck me as superior in efficiency
(if not cost effectiveness, but that comes with time with any
technology) to using masses of general purpose CPUs.

Meh, it was only a matter of time I guess...

--

Mark