[geeks] caffeine - differences based on source

Jon Gilbert jjj at io.com
Tue Nov 11 19:12:05 CST 2008

On Nov 11, 2008, at 1:50 PM, nate at portents.com wrote:

> It should also be mentioned that a lot of other things can affect
> how the
> body metabolizes caffeine.  The birth control pill for women can cause
> caffeine to be metabolized up to twice as slowly, greatly prolonging
> the
> effects.  Smokers on the other hand metabolize caffeine about two
> times as
> fast as people who don't smoke.  I don't know what the effects of
> the pill
> and smoking are on metabolizing the other stimulants in teas, though.
> Needless to say, between all the various compounds and all the
> things that
> could possibly affect how a body deals with them, there are a lot of
> variables involved.

I also forgot to mention something. The cellular action of caffeine is
to cause the release of calcium from storage organelles (globules).
This triggers the action of calcium ion channels on the cell wall,
increasing the level of both intra- and intercellular calcium ions.
Now, I don't know how or why nicotine or birth control pills would
affect the transmission of caffeine into the blood, but once the
caffeine reaches the cells, if you are already experiencing calcium
deficiency then the caffeine would have less of an effect. Actually it
can have quite a negative effect once these stores are depleted, since
in my understanding it can cause the calcium ion pumps to actuate
without calcium being present, which can cause cellular damage. But
don't quote me on that one LOL, it was a few years back when I took
that course in college heh.

-
Jon Gilbert
PGP fingerprint: 7FA9 B168 73CA A698 DD9E  2DF2 EE1A 3E73 3119 741F