[geeks] Solaris 10 10.08 version now up

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 10:24:43 CST 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net> wrote:
> Yay!  ZFS for all!

Got it running on my v480 over the weekend. I would have had it
running friday night if it wasnt for the fact that I burned the image
to a DVD+R and my 480 dont like DVD+R apparently.

Also got it up on a mirrored setup on a workstation with 2 drives.
Either way it was totally painless. I am surprised the blogosphere is
not filled with enthusiasm over this release. This is really really
great. As important a release as Sol 10 GA, IMHO.

Note that swap and dump are zfs devices now and you could also at
install time have / and /var separate, if you so chose (not to start a
flame fest...). That makes it so easy to manage your disk, never
having to deal with partitions again.

Another note, on SPARC make sure at the OBP you do: boot cdrom - text
(or boot net - text)
else you wont get the choice to install with ZFS. Or under x86, select
interactive text (choices 3 or 4)

Francois