[geeks] documenting the environment

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri May 30 23:45:49 CDT 2008

On May 30, 2008, at 05:30 , Frank Van Damme wrote:

> Hi.
>
> many of you are probably familiar with the topic of documentation. I
> mean the process of documenting a network of IT environment, including
> servers, routers/switches/firewalls, physical and virtual hardware, ip
> addresses and ranges being used, ports occupied on network hardware,
> SAN, physical locations etc.

I have several approaches.

One thing that works fairly well is to have a notebook for each
server, and a rule that says every time someone touches the machine,
they write down what they did.  It's amazing how many problems can be
traced with a look at the logs.

Also have logs for each area of responsibility, and definitely keep
your own log book.

It's a bitch, but it can become habit if you'll just stick with it for
a week or two.  It also helps you remember a lot more details than you
could otherwise, including the future, not just what is already done.

Also, a log book does not have to be limited to what you write.  You
can also use them to store photographs, printouts of system
configuration, software licenses, and other information, brief
instructions, etc.

Finally, for repetitive tasks that really need to be done and done
methodically, write down each step and actually use the lists.

It's tedious, but I've seen it save tons of backside over the years.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com