[geeks] Socialized medicine [was Re: nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro]

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri May 30 09:51:30 CDT 2008

" From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com>
"
" On May 29, 2008, at 3:48 PM, adh at an.bradford.ma.us (Sandwich Maker)
" wrote:
"
" > " From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com>
" > "
" > " []
" > "
" > " There are those that feel a President should not have any religion,
" > " and say that by holding any (even mainstream) belief system renders
" > " them unsuitable for the highest office.
" > "
" > " Honestly, I think shows a bit of well-needed humility, that there is
" > " something greater than him (or her) self...
" >
" > ...and this applies to bush -how-?
"
"
" I didn't mean to apply it to our current president, I wrote of the
" general case.

in general i agree.

" I want my President to have a faith they feel strongly about. I
" personally would accept nearly any mainstream religion, as long as she/
" he is serious.

strong faith is a way of defining a moral and ethical foundation.  i
don't believe you have to be religious to be ethical or moral, but i
do believe our legal system - where so many politicians seem to spring
from - discourages personal ethics in favor of whatever you can
negotiate and put down on paper, and however you can interpret it.

" I will not accept a President that feigns a belief in any faith to
" make themself an attractive candidate.

unfortunately, feigning belief - in faith or anything else - is coin
of the realm for politicians.  the key is sincerity; once you can
fake that...

" > i also recall him suggesting that he might have a direct mission from
" > god and/or be the next messiah.  if he believed that he's got serious
" > personality problems.  if he didn't believe that, trying it on with a
" > straight face took a pile o' chutzpah.
"
" Many Christians feel they have a relationship with their God, does
" that exclude all of those Christians from becoming President? Many
" religious people of various denomination feel that their Gods speak
" to them - I'm ok with that, unless they tell me he called.
"
" Many religious people feel their lives have a purpose, and that their
" purpose comes from their God, should that prevent them from holding
" the office of President? Or is it all ok, she/he just can't say it out
" loud (dont't ask, don't tell?)

i think it should, if they feel the need to reform society and direct
the affairs of others in accordance with their personal beliefs,
without tolerance for other viewpoints.

that would be an extreme case, but i believe that even in a minor
degree it would be an ethical violation of the principle of separation
of church and state.  could a president of strong faith take a stand
contrary to his/her faith if it's in the best interests of the
country, or would he/she be unable to see the dilemma?