[geeks] Religion and the Presidency

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Fri May 30 08:48:33 CDT 2008

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> He said there were WMDs in Iraq because he believed it to be true, as
>> did almost every elected official that saw the top secret breifings.
>
> Well, yeah, but that's because that's what they wanted the briefings to
> show.  Every time someone tried to present some evidence that the claims
> of WMDs in Iraq were false, the entire administration stuck their
> fingers in their ears and shouted "LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

Thing is, we knew Saddam had them at some point.  Nerve gas is not like
a dead goldfish - you don't just flush it down the toilet.  It has to be
disposed of in certain ways and handled carefully during that process.

> It does if the whole WMD story was a deliberate fabrication, which is
> what all the available evidence suggests.  They weren't looking for a
> *reason* to invade Iraq; they were looking for an *excuse*.

Reality is that Iraq was in violation of many of their terms of
surrender and thus, could have been invaded at any point.

Paying some $25K USD to Palestinian families whose kids were suicide
bombers constituted an act of war, IMHO.

My opinion, is that in the days leading up to the way, the reason that
Bush seemed to take so long to actually move the troops in, was that he
was giving time to Saddam to have them move the nerve gas somewhere
else, like Syria, rather than have ground troops face it.

Google "saddam russian scientist nerve gas" and come up with your own
conclusions after reading through the pro/con views.

--Patrick